Monday 23 March 2015

isabella kramer week #12



Hi folks,

today let's talk about knowing our colors and testing several papers ...




... without buying a complete watercolor block. HAHNEMÜHLE offers 12 sheets in one block:
7x Mould-made Watercolor boards and 5x Watercolor boards with different surfaces and wights from 200 g/m² to 600  g/m².

Today I decided to use the sheet with the No. 4. The size of the testing block is 17 x 24 cm - 6,7 x 9,4 in.




This mould-made watercolor board is natural white, acid free, lightfast, of high resistance to aging and material sized. The blocks are glued and gauzed to ensure flatness when wet. All sheets contain watermark and have 4 deckled edges. Suitable for wet painting technics such as watercolor, gouache, tempera and acrylic.

Lorrains post about knowing our colors inspired me to make this little experiment with 6 colors and my longing for the seaside.




WATERCOLORS: SAP GREEN (MIJELLO), PERMANENT YELLOW LIGHT (MIJELLO), QUINACIDRONE GOLD (DANIEL SMITH), MANGANESE BLUE HUE (DANIEL SMITH), VERDITER BLUE (DANIEL SMITH), NEUTRAL TINT (DANIEL SMITH) 


The painting today is a seaside view with a light blue sea, a dark blue sky (bad weather is coming) and pretty white lighthouse (Start Point, lighthouse in Devon UK) surrounded from marvelous rocks speckled with green and yellow gras. 




I start with a wet in wet wash on the sky and then on the sea. At the horizon line I love how the tow blues bleed into each other. After the sheet is really dry put some sea(blue) into the sky for the darkness and some sky(blue) into the sea. Now it's time for creating the lighthouse with its buildings and the rocks around. For the dark rocks I use my colors from the mixing areas and drop them into each other on the sheet,  to create a natural feeling for rocks near the sea.

I had to say that this won't be my favorite paper in future - maybe that I had practice with it a little bit more. I love the small bright spot, which it create. 



- LIGHTHOUSE DEVON - 


2015 © ISABELLA KRAMER
WATERCOLOR WASH week#12
Size:  17 x 24 cm - 6,7 x 9,4 in.
Paper:  HAHNEMÜHLE MOULD-MADE - 300 g/m²


So far for today, I hope you enjoy my little experiment. I had to say thank you to Lorraine for her lovely idea. Wish you all a happy and creative Monday and a joyful new week. 

May light and colors be with you.




xo, isabella